Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Belial and Asmodai - Dark Angels characters done!

After my insanely long painting session yesterday I got myself to bed really early and had about 11 hours sleep. You know how sometimes you wake up feeling awful after a long sleep? There was none of that, just full-on chirpy, chipper James, happy with my efforts and ready for another round at the hobby table. I think (touch wood) my persistant cold is on its way out as an added bonus. Hurrah!

As promised, photos of more Dark Angels in the form of the two new characters, Belial and Asmodai.

Belial

I confess, I wasn't convinced by Belial from the pictures on the web. The sculpt work is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, I like how he looks, but something about the pose didn't click for me. I want the Master of the Deathwing to be in a furious war pose, not standing there in his 'look at me, I'm a Space Marine fashion model showing off the latest in power sword and storm bolter for this season' pose. But, once I had him built he was really nice to paint. The flowing cloak stuff mixed in with the tactical dreadnought armour is a cool look and he sits very nicely in amongst my Deathwing Knights.

Belial


The quality of the cast was pretty good, but some mould lines were in awkard spots. As with other Finecast models of late though, there were tons of gates (the ridged channels to help avoid air bubbles forming during casting) and it was a real chore to remove them all. The eagle eyed may spot some I missed. I just kept on discovering them as I painted. Very frustrating when a lot of them are in tricky to remove parts where detail on the model could be compromised.

You can vote for him on CMoN if you fancy.

Belial

Belial

Belial

Belial

Belial

Belial

Belial

Asmodai

What I really like about the new Asmodai is that he totally conveys everything the old model did, but he looks so much more modern and refined and just all around nice! He's instantly become what the Asmodai model is, the old sculpt has been shoved clear out of my brain box and I actually had to struggle a bit to recall what the previous one was like.

A pretty relaxing model to paint with lots of cloak bits, he felt like a reward for all the sharp edged power armour I've been doing! I really like the smoke from his (and the Dark Vengeance Chaplain's) backpack. That's a cool little sculpted touch to make the Chaplains stand out more in the range.

Vote at Cool Mini or Not.

Asmodai

Asmodai

Asmodai

Asmodai

Asmodai

Asmodai

Asmodai

No comments:

Post a Comment