Sunday, 27 January 2013

Ravenwing flyers round 2 - Finished pics

Finishing the latest Dark Angel flyers a few weeks back seems to have filled me with a keen desire to paint vehicles. Over the last few days I finished off a second Dark Talon and Nephilim Jetfighter. The style is a little different, perhaps a tad cleaner and sharper, but I can't decide which I prefer. All in all, I'm satisfied with these new ones but perhaps slightly favour the first two I painted.

 

Painted cockpits

I made a few changes on these. The first is that I painted the canopies. At first I was going to do a reflected sky effect, but then I got to thinking about how to make them really pop. As the lights scattered around them were going to be a luminescent green, I also decided to work that colour into the cockpit. So, I've done a reflective green effect with my airbrush, spraying in some quite comic book styled reflection stripes. This probably set the tone for the rest of the models, ensuring they'd be a bit less realistic and more sharp edged and popping.

 

Glorious gold

The Jetfighter's just about the same as before other than the green, but the Dark Talon is based on the second 'Eavy Metal paint job. I've only noticed this one in the Codex, but as soon as I spotted it I was taken with the gold parts. I painted mine with XV-88 brown first because any golden colours cover much better when painted on top of brown, then I painted all the areas in Hashut Copper. This colour doesn't quite have the vibrancy of Gehenna's Gold, but it does cover better and, when it's given a wash of Reikland Fleshshade it takes on a lovely rich tone. A careful drybrush of Golden Griffon (the only Dry paint I've used so far) and final light drybrush of Mithril Silver and things were looking pretty good.

You can vote for the Nephilim Jetfighter and the Dark Talon at CMoN.









Alternate nose mounted weapon








No comments:

Post a Comment